With 61,820 births in 2022, the Houston population continues to rise, according to the Houston Health Department. This increase in the birth rate compared to previous years means that more infants attend Houston daycare centers. While Houston parents trust that their little ones are safe at these childcare facilities, unfortunately, incidents of infant abuse can occur.
Our experienced Houston daycare injury attorneys are shedding light on the key signs that infants have experienced abuse while in the care of negligent caregivers at Houston-area daycare centers. This includes childcare facilities in the surrounding cities: Atascocita, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Houston, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball.
Commons Signs of Infant Abuse at Houston Daycare Centers
It is important to be vigilant and respond quickly to any injury because an infant’s skull, spinal cord, bone, and brain are not fully developed. Therefore, when they sustain an injury, the impact of the injury can be more serious than it would be for an older child. For example, babies who are between 2 and 4 months old are at the greatest risk of shaken baby syndrome or SBS.
Houston parents will need to rely on observations and even “mother’s intuition” to know when something is wrong since infants do not have robust communication skills. Some common red flags to watch for that indicate an infant is being abused at a Houston daycare center include:
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Dirty hands and face can signal daycare neglect
- Extreme fussiness or irritability
- Pale or bluish skin
- Sudden bouts of diaper rash
- Unchanged diapers at daycare pickup
- Unexplained bruises, bumps, or scratches that hint at falls or physical abuse at the hands of caregivers
- Unusual hunger or thirst
It is important to note that some of these red flags may not appear directly after an infant has experienced abuse. That is why noticing patterns is key. Lastly, you know your child best and can recognize when something on their body or a behavior is not normal.
A visit to your child’s pediatrician can also provide an expert opinion regarding abnormalities in your child’s behaviors or development to confirm your suspicions or give you peace of mind.
How to Report Infant Abuse and Hold Negligent Houston Daycare Centers Accountable
In the event that you suspect your infant is being abused or neglected at a Houston-area daycare center, follow these important steps:
- Immediately report the daycare abuse to the police. Local law enforcement will conduct a separate investigation, and bring criminal charges, if necessary.
- Report the incident to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services by calling the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400. Texas law requires that all suspicions of daycare or childcare abuse and neglect be reported. The identity of those who make reports are confidential and are not legally liable when the report is made in good faith.
- Contact Houston daycare injury lawyers like our team at The Button Law Firm. We have experience helping families who have gone through these unimaginable situations involving their young children and can help guide your family and fight for justice.
We recognize that it may be hard to know what to do next after your child, especially an infant, is injured at a daycare center. You can also download our free guide 5 Steps to Take After a Daycare Injury, for additional advice.
How The Button Law Firm Helps Houston Families After Incidents of Infant Abuse
With attorneys in Houston, we are ready to listen and fight for your family in Atascocita, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after your infant experiences abuse at negligent daycare centers in the Houston area. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.