Wrongful Death of a Child in Texas
Plain and simple: A parent is not supposed to lose a child. In fact, it is every parent’s worst nightmare. Sadly, unintentional accidents were the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4 and children ages 5-14, according to a 2021 report published by The Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics. When a child passes away because of an accident that could have been prevented, that is called wrongful death.
The grieving process can easily fluctuate from shock to denial, to where you feel like you’re living in a nightmare, to anger that may lead you to seek justice for this irreprehensible wrong that you have experienced. If your daughter or son has passed away because of a preventable accident, call our compassionate and knowledgeable attorneys at The Button Law Firm at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form. You can let your mind rest knowing that we will handle your case with all the sympathy and understanding it deserves so that your child did not die in vain.
Common Causes of a Child’s Wrongful Death
Our experienced child injury lawyers have found that common causes of preventable, fatal accidents involving children include:
- Improper supervision at daycare or school. Preventable accidents range from sleep injuries to furniture tip-overs to dangerous falls or even a child being left outside in a hot vehicle like a van or bus.
- Abuse in daycare or other family-friendly places.
- Car accidents. These can include a reckless driver hitting a child who is riding a bike or scooter or even walking along the street.
- Spread of preventable diseases
- Exposure to defective products such as baby rockers and toys
- Injuries sustained during birth
- Preventable medical mistakes, also known as medical malpractice.
All of these incidents are easily prevented when daycares, schools, hospitals, and other organizations that are responsible for supervising children:
- Establish and follow designated safety procedures
- Hire qualified staff and conduct thorough background checks and training, including providing continuing education opportunities
- Continually maintain spaces and equipment to prevent injuring children
Catastrophic Child Injuries
Children are more susceptible to sustaining serious injuries compared to adults. Their bodies are small and still developing, so any impact can cause more damage to their fragile bodies. Tragically, serious injuries such as brain injuries, punctured organs, and spinal cord injuries can quickly turn catastrophic.
How Our Child Injury Attorneys Will Fight in Memory of Your Child
If your son or daughter tragically passed away because of a preventable accident, our compassionate and experienced child injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm are dedicated to fighting for your family to hold those to blame accountable and get justice for your child’s untimely death. While it won’t bring your child back, a wrongful death claim can be filed to help your family move forward and potentially protect other children from experiencing the same fate. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages from missing work to take care of and grieve the loss of your child
- Loss of love, comfort, and companionship
- Punitive damages in the event that a person’s gross negligence caused your child’s death
With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, our expert team is ready to listen, fight, and help your family move forward following a tragedy. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form.
More Helpful Information on Wrongful Death Claims from The Button Law Firm
- Filling a Wrongful Death Claim in Texas If Your Child Died From a Daycare Injury
- Why You Shouldn’t Wait to File a Wrongful Death Claim
- What to Do If Your Child Passes Away in a Hot Car at Daycare
- How to Grieve a Family Member After a Tragedy
Frequently Asked Questions About Helping You File a Wrongful Death of a Child Claim
How much does it cost to file a claim?
At The Button Law Firm, we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. We work on contingency. This way, your family can focus on healing while we focus on advocating and fighting for you. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form to get started.
Who do you represent?
We help the families of innocent children who have tragically passed away get justice. With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to fight and advocate for your family anywhere in the Lone Star State.
How can I file a claim?
Simply contact our team of expert child injury lawyers by calling 214-699-4409 or filling out a contact form, and we can determine the best way to help you.
Is there a time limit to file a claim?
The families of children who have tragically passed away because of an accident have two years to file a claim. Contact our team of child-focused injury lawyers today at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form, and we can determine how the legal statutes impact your case.
Why should I work with The Button Law Firm?
We are dedicated to helping the families of children who have tragically passed away get justice. Our child injury lawyers are ready to listen to you, advocate for your family, and help you hold negligent parties accountable. See what our past clients have to say about working with us to handle their legal matters.