Did you know there were 3,324 daycare neglect investigations in Texas in 2022? Sadly, most of the children in these cases were seriously hurt because they were not properly supervised. In fact, a lack of supervision is the most common type of daycare neglect.
Texas daycare laws, known as minimum standards, emphasize the importance of proper supervision by providing guidelines for child-to-caregiver ratios, classroom supervision, and the supervision of caregivers at daycare facilities.
If your child has been harmed due to inadequate supervision at a daycare center in Texas, know these next steps to take. Our daycare injury lawyers at The Button Law Firm are here to educate parents about the importance of proper supervision, how children can be injured when they are not supervised, and the legal action families can take to get justice.
Consequences of Improper Supervision at Daycare Centers in Texas
Improper supervision is the root cause of the majority of daycare neglect incidents. When children are not properly monitored at a daycare center, they can be seriously hurt. For example, our Texas daycare injury lawyers have seen little ones:
- Access illegal drugs that look like candy brought in by unqualified caregivers
- Choke on toys that are not age-appropriate and come with small pieces and parts
- Drown in a pool at the daycare or a body of water near the daycare facility
- Experience severe burns from bottle warmers when children are left unsupervised around dangling cords
- Fall from a high surface such as a changing table
- Get injured when furniture tips over on them due to heavy pieces not being properly anchored to a classroom wall
- Suffer from heatstroke or hypothermia when locked out of a daycare center on an extremely hot or cold day
- Wander out of the classroom and enter a playground or leave a daycare’s premises, at risk of getting hit by a car or being kidnapped
As you’d suspect, children are much safer when caregivers at local daycare centers keep a close eye on them.
Steps Texas Parents Can Take After Lack of Supervision Causes a Child’s Daycare Injury
Your family may have the option to file a lawsuit to hold the daycare accountable if your child was injured because they were not properly supervised. Taking legal action enables parents like you to get answers, seek justice, and potentially receive compensation.
In Texas, you have two years from the day of the improper supervision incident to file a lawsuit to seek compensation, also known as damages, and hold the daycare center accountable for neglect. Parents may be compensated for the following damages:
- Emotional distress
- Medical expenses, including a child’s ongoing or future medical treatments and therapy
- Pain and suffering
Do you have more questions about taking legal action after a lack of supervision at a daycare center in Texas seriously hurt your child? Call us at 214-699-4409 or email us at [email protected]. Our experienced Texas daycare injury lawyers will listen and determine the best way to help you and your family move forward.
Get a Free Consultation If a Lack of Supervision at a Daycare Center Harmed Your Child
Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child suffered injures because they were improperly supervised at a local daycare center. With attorneys in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to listen, fight for your family, and help your family move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 214-699-4409, email us at [email protected], or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.