How Can I Get Justice in a Houston Daycare Wrongful Death Case?
No parent should have to experience the death of a child, let alone the death of a child at a Houston daycare center that could have been prevented. An incident like this is called the wrongful death of a child. While daycare facilities in Houston are typically safe spaces, fatal incidents can happen. Sadly, in a single year, three children were killed while in the care of licensed Texas daycare centers, according to the most recent report from the state’s Health and Human Services.
If your daughter or son has passed away because of a preventable fatal incident at a Houston-area daycare center, call 281-857-6116 to speak to our compassionate and knowledgeable Houston daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm, or fill out a contact form. We serve families in Atascocita, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Houston, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. You can let your mind rest knowing that we will handle your case with all the understanding it deserves to get justice so that your child did not die in vain.
What Can Cause a Child’s Wrongful Death at a Houston Daycare Center?
Our Houston daycare injury lawyers have found that common causes of preventable, fatal accidents involving children at Houston daycare centers include:
- Abuse, such as intentional physical abuse at the hands of a daycare worker
- Allergic reactions
- Severe and fatal burn injuries at daycare centers caused by bottle warmers
- Drugging incidents when a daycare worker gives a child an over-the-counter or prescription medication without the approval of a parent
- Falls caused by a caregiver dropping a child or a child falling from a changing table or highchair
- Hot van deaths, for instance when a child is forgotten or becomes trapped in a daycare’s van for a prolonged time on a hot day
- Negligent daycare teachers and facilities
- Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) caused by a caregiver violently shaking a child
- Sleep injuries at daycare centers are most common among infants. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) estimates there are more than 3,500 sleep-related infant deaths in the United States every year.
Can I Sue if My Child Dies at a Houston Daycare Center?
If your child dies at a daycare center in Houston, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the daycare center and the employees responsible for the child’s death. A wrongful death case against a Houston daycare center can be complex and emotionally charged. This is why it is important for families to seek the help of compassionate and experienced daycare injury attorneys like our team at The Button Law Firm in Houston.
A wrongful death lawsuit is a legal claim that can be brought by the parents of the child who has died because of the childcare facility’s negligence. This could include the daycare failing to follow the state’s required daycare minimum standards, which involves the proper supervision of children, providing a safe environment for them, and following safety protocols. In the instance that a toy, faulty playground equipment, or the side effects of an approved medication caused a child’s death at a Houston daycare center, the product manufacturer may also be held responsible.
We will fight for your family to hold the Houston daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s untimely death. While it won’t bring your child back, a daycare wrongful death claim can help your family move forward, and potentially protect other children from experiencing the same fate. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages from missing work to grieve the loss of your child
- The emotional toll of losing a loved one, especially a child
- Punitive damages if the daycare’s gross negligence caused your child’s death
Families have two years from the time of the incident to file a claim. There are some exceptions to this time limit, so contact our Houston legal team, and we can determine how the legal statutes impact your case.
How Can The Button Law Firm in Houston Help Your Family?
We have successfully helped families across Houston, like yours, seek justice with wrongful death of a child cases. With attorneys in Houston, we are ready to listen and fight for your family in Atascocita, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. Our Houston attorneys are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.