It is no secret that young children are curious and easily distracted—two traits that can lead to wandering. That is why it’s important for Houston-area daycare directors and workers to review operating procedures and ensure the security of facilities to keep children safe.
Unfortunately, wandering incidents at daycare centers are not uncommon in Houston. Just a few headlines from local news outlets include: “Toddler found wandering along local Highway 288 in Houston,” “Toddler ends up on busy road after wandering away from Baytown day care,” and, most recently, “4-year-old found wandering outside school after daycare driver allegedly left him unattended.”
Our knowledgeable Houston daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm are educating parents about this important safety issue for daycare centers across the metro area: Atascocita, Baytown, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Houston, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. If your child was able to wander away from a local daycare center call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.
How Are Children Able to Wander at Houston Daycare Centers?
Our Houston daycare injury attorneys have seen firsthand how children are able to wander away and get seriously hurt. These incidents tend to happen when Houston childcare facilities neglect to:
- Provide adequate supervision: Supervision is the most important duty of any caregiver or provider at a daycare center in Houston. Closely watching children in a classroom or on a playground can easily prevent a vast majority of incidents that can lead to serious injuries, such as wandering.
- Comply with mandated child-to-caregiver ratios: Going hand in hand with proper supervision, Houston daycare centers must meet the state’s minimum standards with regard to classroom ratios. These safety measures were set in place to ensure children are protected and adequately supervised while in the care of childcare facilities.
- Implement safety protocols: Wandering is in the nature of many young children in Houston. That is why implementing additional procedures such as conducting classroom counts before and after recess and popular drop-off times in the morning, helps to ensure that all children are accounted for throughout the day.
- Maintain the daycare facility with locks and alarms: Simple security measures like having locks on doors that are out of a child’s reach and childproofing locks on windows in classrooms and throughout Houston daycare centers are easy ways to ensure that children remain where they are supposed to be and prevent wandering incidents.
- Properly train staff and caregivers: Having highly trained and qualified childcare providers with state-mandated certifications and specialized trainings offered by Houston daycare centers plays a pivotal role in averting instances of wandering. These comprehensive training programs equip Houston caregivers with an extensive understanding of crucial aspects such as safeguarding children within the facility, adhering to safety protocols, and implementing effective strategies to maintain children's focus. They can swiftly identify when a child's attention drifts and skillfully redirect his or her curious mind back to classroom activities or during a transition from the classroom to the playground. With their expertise, daycare caregivers can offer Houston parents peace of mind that their little ones are safe in their care.
Furthermore, it is crucial for Houston daycare providers to identify the telltale signs that may tempt children in their care to explore beyond designated areas, especially if they have displayed signs of these behaviors in the past. By doing so, local daycare centers can proactively implement additional measures to secure the Houston childcare facility’s premises and ensure the utmost safety and well-being of adventurous little ones. Additional tips on how Houston daycare centers can prevent wandering incidents and injuries can be found here.
How Can Houston Children Get Hurt by Wandering Away from a Daycare Center?
When little ones in Houston are able to wander away from a local daycare center, they are in danger of:
- Being abducted
- Getting hit by a car
- Getting lost
- Experiencing a traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Sexual abuse by a stranger
- Suffering from broken bones caused by tripping and falling
In a nightmare scenario for Houston parents, children who are able to wander away from caregivers are at risk of a fatal injury.
What Can You Do If Your Child Wandered Out of a Daycare Center in Houston?
If you believe your child was able to wander out of a daycare center in Houston or was injured because of incidents that occurred while your child was wandering, you have a right to file a lawsuit to hold the daycare accountable. Speak with our team of experienced Houston child injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm. They will aggressively investigate and pursue your child’s injury claim, help you obtain compensation, and prevent the negligent daycare from harming other children in the future.
There is a two-year time limit for filing a daycare injury lawsuit in Houston, so call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form as soon as possible. We will listen and advise on the best path forward for you and your family.
Client Wins: How The Button Law Firm Has Helped Families with Daycare Wandering Cases
Our experienced daycare injury attorneys have helped numerous families in Houston and across the Lone Star State after a daycare injury, including wandering cases. Read more about how we have successfully helped families move forward after these traumatizing incidents:
- BLF Secures Win for Family After Young Daughter Goes Missing at Daycare
- Settlement Secured for Family of Child Who Was Left in Locked School Van and Walked a Mile to Seek Help
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Houston Daycare Injury Lawyers
Our team of experienced and compassionate Houston daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was seriously hurt because of wandering at a Houston childcare facility. With attorneys in Houston, we are ready to listen and fight for families in Atascocita, Baytown, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.