Helping Parents in Texas After a Child Is Injured Because of a Preventable Fall at a Daycare
Falls are the leading cause of nonfatal childhood injuries. In fact, approximately 8,000 children visit hospital emergency rooms for fall-related injuries every day, according to Stanford Medicine Children’s Health. That’s a total of more than 2.9 million children hurt every year solely because of falls, including falls that occur at daycare centers.
In this article, our Texas daycare injury lawyers will break down how falls in daycares occur and what you should do in the event that your child is seriously hurt because of a preventable fall at daycare.
How Do Infants and Toddlers Fall at Daycares?
Working parents trust and rely on daycares to protect their little ones and provide a safe space. While young children, especially infants and toddlers, are reaching developmental milestones such as exploring their environment, learning what different objects do, and mastering how to crawl or walk, they rely on the daycare’s caregivers to protect them from being harmed. This is why proper supervision and following the state’s mandated child-to-caregiver ratios in daycare centers are so important. Falls and subsequent injuries happen when children are not supervised.
Infants at daycare centers can fall by or from:
- Being dropped by a caregiver holding them or lifting them from a highchair or crib
- Chairs or couches
- Changing tables
Meanwhile, toddlers and young children at Texas daycares can fall from or on unmaintained premises, including:
- Chairs or couches
- Playground equipment
- Slippery or unclean floors
- Steps or stairs too big or steep for their little legs
- Tall furniture or other structures
- Uneven surfaces
When daycare centers follow proper daycare safety guidelines and procedures, young children can remain safe and avoid injuries caused by unnecessary falls.
What are Common Injuries that Children Can Experience Because of a Fall at Daycare?
When a child falls from a high surface without any protection, serious injuries may include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Bruises and deep cuts
- Eye injuries
- Head injuries such as bumps and concussions
- Psychological trauma such as anxiety and depression
- Severe wounds that require stitches
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Sadly, some daycare falls can be fatal, especially for infants since their bodies are too fragile to survive the impact of a hard landing or the injuries sustained from the fall.
What Should I Do If My Child Was Hurt Because of a Preventable Fall at Daycare?
As we have established, most falls at daycares are preventable. If your child is severely hurt because of a fall at a daycare in Texas, follow these four steps to help your child heal and hold the daycare accountable for any wrongdoings:
- Take your child to an urgent care clinic, pediatrician, or emergency room as soon as possible for medical attention
- Call the police to report the incident. In addition to your child’s medical records, a police report can help provide a written record of what happened at the daycare, especially if your child’s injuries are severe.
- Report the incident to the state. You can report allegations of daycare neglect in Texas to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) by calling the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400 or make a report online at TXAbuseHotline.org.
- Reach out to our experienced daycare injury lawyers by calling 214-699-4409 or filling out a contact form. Falls, especially for infants and toddlers, can result in severe injuries with lifelong medical consequences. In fact, your family may be eligible for compensation to cover your child’s medical expenses, therapy and other helpful resources, lost wages from your job while serving as a caregiver to your child, and pain and suffering. We will be ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s injuries. However, there is a two-year time limit for filing a personal injury claim in Texas, so reach out to our team as soon as possible.
In the tragic event that your child experiences a fatal injury because of a preventable fall at daycare, your family may be eligible for compensation to cover funeral expenses, medical expenses incurred prior to passing away, emotional damages, and more.
It is important to speak with experienced daycare injury attorneys, like our team at The Button Law Firm, who will listen and determine the best path forward for you and your family.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Dallas Daycare Injury Lawyers
Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child is harmed from a fall while in the care of a Texas daycare facility. With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to listen, fight for your family, and help your family move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.