Why Get UM/UIM Insurance Coverage On Your Motorcycle?

When you get your motorcycle going and want to be on the road, the last thing you are thinking about is being run off the road. No one expects to have their life turned upside down. Unfortunately, too many riders are left dealing with life-changing injuries such as spinal fractures, broken bones, head injuries, and amputations.

What Is UM/UIM?

UM/UIM is Uninsured and Under-Insured Motorist coverage. This coverage kicks in when you are hit by a driver that does not have any insurance coverage, hit by a driver that does not have enough insurance coverage for your injuries, or when you are the victim of a hit and run wreck. Your own UM/UIM coverage will step in to take care of your damages.

Isn't UM/UIM Coverage Expensive?

Most bike riders say it is too expensive, so they won't get it. They only get it on their car. However, you are much more likely to have a life-changing event on your bike than in your car. 

Do I Really Need UM/UIM Coverage?

No, Texas drivers are not required by law to have UM/UIM coverage on their policy, but it is HIGHLY recommended. Most drivers in Texas have the state minimum requirement of $30,000.00 in coverage. Unfortunately, this minimum coverage is often not enough to fully cover damages and injuries victims of car wrecks incur.

Guess What Every Single One Of My Client's Wish They Had? 

You guessed it... UM/UIM.

What Happens If I Don't Have UM/ UIM Coverage And I Get Into A Wreck?

Like most catastrophic cases or wrongful death cases that I handle, the medical bills and lost wages far exceed the insurance coverage. In these cases, we take a look at all available options for insurance and the likelihood of success at each of them. We will take a look at all available options for recovery and the likelihood of success under each option. After evaluating and discussing options with you, we develop a plan to begin working on resolving claims with the available insurance coverage.

Once we have exhausted all insurance options, we now begin working on resolving and reducing all medical bills and medical liens you owe back. This will involve subrogation with your health insurance company and dealing with the hospitals and doctors for their extra charges.

Where Can I Learn More?

This is a very simple answer. You can read my book called The Essential Guide For Your Texas Injury Case. It outlines and details the different phases of a personal injury case for you. It also includes some important chapters on dealing with insurance companies and how we operate here at The Button Law Firm.

As always, if you have any questions for your motorcycle wreck, give us a call or email us. If you are just looking for guidance prior to getting on the road on your new bike, don't be afraid to reach out to make sure that you are covered and ready to go! Safe travels on the roads. If anything happens, we are here to help you get back on your feet and protect you from the insurance companies.

Russell Button
Connect with me
Texas Trial Lawyer