In May 2023, accidental exposure to medication was cited as a leading cause of poisoning in young children by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. These improper medication incidents—classified as child drugging—can happen when daycare centers in Spring, Texas, do not properly hire, train, and supervise caregivers.
Our daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm have observed an increase in these surprising incidents involving children who are drugged with prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications while at daycare centers in Spring. The most common scenarios include:
- Benadryl and other antihistamines that make children sleepy, thus easier to control
- OTC medications and dietary supplements like Tylenol and melatonin
- Daycare workers giving a child an incorrect dose of an approved medicine
With regard to unqualified caregivers who bring illegal drugs like gummies or cannabis into local daycare centers, children between the ages of 2 and 3 years old are most susceptible to these substances, according to a recent medical study. Toddlers in this age group are able to open containers and climb up to high places where they can access drugs that often look like candy.
Children in Spring can experience serious medical events such as brain injuries, cardiac arrest, or other severe health issues that impact the organs from drugging incidents. Sometimes too much of a prescription medication can overwhelm a child’s body and have deadly consequences.
If your child was drugged or improperly medicated at a childcare facility in Spring, Texas, our legal team has helped families get justice following these traumatic incidents in local daycare centers. We are guiding parents to know what to do if their child is drugged at a daycare center in Spring. Call us at 281-857-6116, email us at [email protected], or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.
Steps to Take If Your Child Was Drugged at a Daycare Center in Spring, Texas
If you suspect your child has been drugged or improperly medicated at a daycare center in Spring, Texas, follow these important steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention for your child at the pediatrician or emergency room at Texas Children’s Hospital or Children’s Memorial Hermann.
- Call 911 and report a crime has been committed against a minor to the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office. File a police report if illegal drugs or substances not appropriate for underage children are involved.
- Report the incident to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) by calling the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400 so that the incident can be investigated within 24 hours. A record of deficiencies at the daycare center could help protect other children in Spring from future harm.
- Work to gather evidence by asking to see a video of the incident and preserve the footage by recording it with your own smartphone or some other recording device, or request a copy of the feed from the daycare director.
- Contact the compassionate and knowledgeable daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm by calling 281-857-6116, emailing [email protected], or filling out a contact form. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover your child’s medical expenses and future treatments, lost wages from your job while serving as a caregiver for a child recovering from injuries, and pain and suffering. We will be ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s drugging and injuries.
If the unspeakable happens and your child passes away because of a drugging incident at a daycare center in Spring, our Spring child wrongful death attorneys will help your family get justice. Learn more about your options in a wrongful death case in this article.
More Resources for Spring Parents Regarding Daycare Drugging Incidents
To further help guide Spring families through drugging or improper medication incidents at daycare centers, we’ve created the following free resources:
- 6 Signs a Daycare Center in Spring Drugged or Improperly Medicated Your Child
- Helping Parents with Drugging Cases in Spring, Texas, Daycare Centers
- What Parents Need to Know About Drugging of Children in Daycare
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Spring Daycare Injury Lawyers
Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was drugged while in the care of a daycare center in Spring, Texas. We are ready to listen and fight to help your family get justice and move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 281-857-6116, email [email protected], or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.