When a tow truck accident results in the sudden and unexpected death of your family member, it’s devastating and traumatic. You may be unsure what steps to take to protect your future or get the compensation owed to you due to the wrongful death of your loved one. However, you are not alone. There’s help available from a tow truck accident attorney at The Button Law Firm.
Common Reasons Tow Truck Accidents Happen
Even though most people operating a tow truck are seasoned professionals trained to do a good job, accidents can occur. Some common causes of tow truck accidents include:
- Inexperienced people operating the tow truck and equipment on board
- Improperly hooking up tow vehicles
- Poor attention on the roadways
- Poorly maintained trucks or equipment
- Poor weather conditions
- Hurried drivers trying to speed up the process
If you lost a loved one, asking questions is part of the process of healing. Yet, you may not see the full picture on your own.
Why Fatal Injuries Can Occur With Tow Truck Accidents
Tow trucks are very heavy vehicles. Should one slide into a car or have the vehicle they are carrying break free, the force of the accident can be incredible. Fatal injuries occur as a result of a severe impact from a tow truck or other surfaces. They can occur due to brain damage, crushing, lacerations, and many other factors. In all cases, they can be devastating to families.
What to Do If Your Loved One Dies in a Tow Truck Crash
When a loved one is lost in such a tragic way, it’s hard to know what to do. Remember these tips to help protect your right to compensation:
- Don’t speak to the insurance company. They will only try to minimize your claim.
- Provide any information you have to the police. Be honest but direct.
- Reach out to a wrongful death attorney who can provide exceptional support in this trying time. They will work directly for you to get any compensation owed to you.
Potential Damages in a Texas Wrongful Death Case
The damages in a case like this can be hard to see initially. After all, your loved one is no longer there to support you or be a part of life. With the help of your attorney, you’ll gain insight into what could be owed to you based on the facts in your case.
Potential damages in a Texas wrongful death case may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost wages to support the family
- Medical expenses up to the time of death
- Pain and suffering claims
- Loss of care, guidance, and nurturing that the deceased person would have provided
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of love and companionship
- Losses related to the value of the services that this person would have provided to you
How a Lawyer Can Help You
Every situation is a bit different, but proving who is to blame is one of the first things your attorney will do with you. Often, the tow truck driver is to blame when the vehicle is not hooked up properly, or the truck is not maintained. It could also be the company that owns the truck that failed to do maintenance or screen its drivers.
Your attorney will work closely with you to pursue this case with care. They will determine what type of compensation you may be entitled to by factoring in all that you’ve lost as a result of the accident. They will advocate for your interests and negotiate on your behalf to get the largest settlement possible.
Recovering damages will not take away the pain of losing your loved one, but it can alleviate the financial burden you are now facing as a result of someone else’s carelessness. Holding the negligent party accountable can also help provide a much-needed sense of closure.
Let our professionals guide you. If you’ve suffered a loss, The Button Law Firm is ready to support your best outcome. Contact our team to set up a free consultation to discuss your case.