Wrongful Death Boating Accident Injury Lawyers
Texas is home to more than 7,000 lakes, making boating a popular activity to spend with friends and family on a sunny day. Sadly, boating fatalities across the state increased by 40% from January 2021 to April 2021 compared to the same time in 2020, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife.
If your loved one was the victim of a fatal boating accident, our team of Texas boating accident attorneys at The Button Law Firm might be able to help your family get justice and compensation to cover costly medical bills and funeral expenses.
How Do Wrongful Death Incidents Involving Boats Happen in Texas?
Wrongful death incidents involving boats are tragic. They can happen in an instant and have lifelong consequences for the victim’s family. These accidents can happen in a variety of ways, including drownings, boat crashes, and explosions. Below, we break down the three most common ways that boating accidents can result in fatal injuries.
- Drownings can happen when passengers fall overboard, when a boat capsizes, or when a passenger becomes trapped in the water and is unable to swim to the shore. In Texas, approximately 79% of fatal boating accident victims drown. These drownings are often the result of a lack of safety measures, such as using life jackets or safety rails, or a failure to follow proper safety procedures. In fact, Texas Parks and Wildlife cites that 86% of the state’s drowning victims were not wearing a life jacket.
- Boat crashes can occur when two boats collide, when a boat hits a fixed object, or when a boat runs aground. These types of accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor visibility, intoxication, reckless or negligent behavior, and mechanical failure.
- Explosions on boats can happen when there is a problem with the vessel's fuel system, electrical system, or other equipment. Boating explosions can be caused by faulty design or manufacturing, lack of maintenance, or improper use of the equipment.
What are Common Causes of Wrongful Death Incidents on Boats in Texas?
A majority of boating accidents are preventable and caused by the boat’s operator. The most common causes of boating accidents in Texas include:
- Boating under the influence: Alcohol or drug use while operating the watercraft
- Operator inexperience: 70% of fatal boating accidents are caused by boat operators who did not receive proper boating safety instruction, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife. And, Texans who are born before Sept. 1, 1993, are not required to complete any education courses, trainings, or obtain a license before operating a boat.
- Operator inattention such as distracted operation
- Reckless boating, including speeding or operating the boat in unsafe weather conditions
- Unmaintained boats
Whether you are at Lake Lewisville, Cedar Creek Reservoir, Lake Conroe, Lake Travis, Galveston Bay, the Gulf of Mexico, or enjoying other bodies of water around Texas, accidents can occur on any type of watercraft. The most common vessels involved in accidents on the water are:
- Cabin motorboats
- Jet skis
- Open motorboats
- Popular boat tours and dinner cruises
- Speed boats
How Can Fatal Boating Accidents in Texas Be Prevented?
It is important for boat operators and passengers to be aware of the risks associated with being on one of Texas’ many waterways and to take steps to prevent accidents from occurring. Steps include following safety guidelines, wearing life jackets, and being aware of one's surroundings at all times on the water. In fact, ramped-up patrols and boater education outreach programs reduced boating accidents by 43% in 2021, according to a release from Texas Parks and Wildlife.
In the event of an accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible and to contact the authorities such as the local police department’s lake patrol unit or marine safety patrol to report the incident.
What Damages Can Be Claimed in a Wrongful Death Boating Accident?
If your child or another family member tragically passed away because of a preventable boating accident, our compassionate and experienced wrongful death attorneys at The Button Law Firm are dedicated to fighting for your family and holding the responsible individual accountable to get justice for your loved one’s untimely death. While it won’t bring them back, a wrongful death claim can be filed to help your family cover costly bills, get justice, and potentially protect others from experiencing the same fate. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages from missing work to take care of family needs or funeral arrangements, and grieve the loss of your loved one
- Loss of love, comfort, and companionship
- Punitive damages in the event that a person’s gross negligence caused your family member’s death
With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, our expert team is ready to listen, fight, and help your family get justice and move forward following a fatal boating accident. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form.
How Can The Button Law Firm Help With a Boating Accident Wrongful Death Claim in Texas?
Our knowledgeable and compassionate Texas boating accident injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm are dedicated to holding negligent boat drivers and operators accountable for unsafe conditions that kills a loved one or your child. We will advocate for you and your family so that you can get justice in honor of their legacy. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list and are located in Dallas, Houston, and Midland. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.
More Helpful Information on Wrongful Death and Boating Accident Claims from The Button Law Firm
- How to Prove Liability in a Wrongful Death Claim in Texas
- Why You Shouldn’t Wait to File a Wrongful Death Claim
- Dealing with Grief After a Family Tragedy
- Wrongful Death Boating Accidents on Texas Lakes
Frequently Asked Questions About Wrongful Death Claims from Boating Accidents
Is there a time limit to file a claim?
In Texas, the immediate family members of a person killed in a boating accident have two years to file a claim. There are some exceptions to this time limit, so contact our legal team today at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form, and we can determine how the legal statutes impact your case.
How much does it cost to file a claim?
At The Button Law Firm, we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. We work on contingency. We will focus on advocating and fighting for you and your family as you navigate life without a loved one. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form to get started.
Who do you represent?
We advocate for adults and children in Texas who have been fatally or seriously injured in boating accidents. With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to help you and your family anywhere in the Lone Star State.
How can I file a claim?
Simply contact our team by calling 214-699-4409 or filling out a contact form, and we can determine the best way to help you.
Why should I work with The Button Law Firm?
We are dedicated to helping adults and children in Texas who have been fatally or seriously injured. Our Texas Super Lawyer-rated attorneys are ready to listen to you, advocate for you, and help you hold negligent parties accountable. With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, see what past clients have to say about working with us on their legal matters.