More than a third of sexual assault victims are of daycare age, according to the nonprofit Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). And, sadly, 90% of children know their abuser, according to child abuse nonprofit Darkness to Light.
Communities like Spring, Texas, are not protected against crimes like these at local daycare centers. As recently as December 2022, Houston’s ABC 13 reported a daycare worker was arrested for assaulting children at daycare centers throughout Harris and Montgomery counties, including four childcare facilities in Spring.
Our experienced and knowledgeable daycare injury lawyers in Spring have helped families get justice following these horrific crimes in local daycare centers. We are sharing the top five things parents should do if their child is a victim of sexual abuse at a daycare center in Spring.
Five Steps to Follow If Your Child Is Being Sexually Abused at a Daycare Center in Spring
Any abuse, especially that of a sexual nature with a minor child at a daycare center in Spring, is a crime.
If you suspect your child is being sexually abused, follow these five important steps:
- Call 911 immediately and report a crime has been committed against a minor to the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office.
- Seek medical attention for your child at Texas Children’s Hospital in The Woodlands. The signs of child sexual abuse in Spring daycare centers are not always obvious. You’ll want your child to be properly evaluated, and medical staff can collect the necessary evidence for a police report. In addition, young children may not understand or be able to explain what has happened to them. A medical professional can help determine the full scope of the abuse.
- Report the incident to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) by calling the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400 so that the incident can be investigated within 24 hours. A record of deficiencies at the daycare center could help protect other children from future injury.
- Inform yourself and investigate. Talk to the daycare center’s employees and administrators to find out as much information about the incident as possible. Also, speak with other parents to see if other children at the daycare center have been involved in similar incidents.
- Contact our experienced daycare injury lawyers by calling 281-857-6116 or filling out a contact form. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover the medical expenses, therapy, and other current and long-term resources that help your child heal. We are ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s traumatic experience and injuries. However, there is a two-year time limit for filing a personal injury claim in Texas, so reach out to our team as soon as possible.
For more tips on what to do if you suspect your child is a victim of sexual abuse at a daycare center in Spring, watch this video created by our daycare injury lawyers.
Free Resources Addressing Sexual Abuse Crimes in Daycare Centers
Sexual abuse incidents can be traumatic for a child and their family. To help guide Spring families through the aftermath of sexual abuse at daycare centers, we’ve created the following free resources:
- Potential Signs of Sexual Abuse in Daycare Centers
- How to Tell if Your Child is Being Sexually Abused at Daycare
- Child Sexual Abuse Lawyers in Texas
- Five Steps to Take If Your Child Was Sexually Abused at Daycare
How The Button Law Firm Helps Spring Families After Sexual Abuse at a Daycare Center
Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was sexually assaulted at a daycare center in Spring, Texas. We are ready to listen and fight to help your family get justice and move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.