What You Need to Know About Falls From Changing Tables at Texas Daycares
Working parents in Texas trust that their children, particularly infants, and toddlers, are safe while at a daycare center. However, incidents, when young children fall several feet off of changing tables at Texas daycare centers, are the leading cause of nonfatal childhood injuries. In fact, an estimated 3,000 babies are injured in changing table accidents every year, according to Consumer Reports.
Changing table fall incidents at Texas daycare centers can happen quickly and seriously hurt a child. Infants and young children who are not yet potty-trained are most vulnerable to these incidents at Texas daycare centers because their fragile bodies are still developing, and they don’t have the motor skills to control their movements and protect themselves from a fall off a changing table.
Injuries that infants and young children can sustain from a daycare changing table fall may include:
Our experienced Texas daycare injury lawyer has found that falls from daycare changing tables are preventable, as a lack of supervision of children is often to blame.
What Should I Do If My Child Was Hurt by a Changing Table Fall at Daycare?
In the event that your child is seriously hurt falling off a changing table at a Texas daycare, our daycare injury lawyers have complied this list to help parents know what to do.
- Seek medical attention immediately by taking your child to an emergency room, urgent care, or pediatrician’s office to treat your child’s obvious injuries and ensure there are no additional underlying injuries or medical complications caused by the fall.
- Report the incident to the state, since falls from a changing table are closely tied to a daycare’s negligence such as a lack of supervision. You can report allegations of daycare neglect in Texas to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) by calling the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400 or submit a report online at TXAbuseHotline.org.
- Document any information from the incident by keeping track of all correspondence from the childcare facility and its workers. Screenshot text messages and emails discussing the incident, take pictures or make copies of any letters from the daycare or its workers, and make detailed notes of any phone calls with the daycare as they occur. While it may be overwhelming to remember these steps when you are more concerned about your child’s health and wellbeing, keeping a file of correspondence can benefit your family’s legal case to hold the daycare accountable for your child’s injuries from a fall.
- Contact our experienced daycare injury lawyers by calling 214-699-4409 or filling out a contact form. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover your child’s medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other helpful resources to help your child heal. We are ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s traumatic experience and injuries. However, there is a two-year time limit for filing a personal injury claim in Texas, so reach out to our team as soon as possible.
What Damages Can My Family Seek If My Child Falls Off a Changing Table at a Texas Daycare?
A fall from a changing table at a Texas daycare that seriously injures your child can be scary and take emotional and financial tolls on you and your family. In Texas, your family has the option to hold the daycare accountable for their negligence and failure to keep your child safe by filing a claim to seek compensation, also known as damages.
Damages that your family may be compensated for in the event your child is injured from falling off a changing table at a daycare include:
- Emotional distress
- Medical expenses, including ongoing or future medical treatments and therapy
- Pain and suffering
In the tragic event that your child experiences a fatal injury because of a preventable fall from a changing table at a daycare, you may be eligible for compensation to cover:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses incurred prior to a child’s passing away
- Loss of consortium for family members
- Loss of income
- Emotional damages such as pain and suffering
- Other unexpected costly fees
It is important to speak with experienced attorneys, like our team at The Button Law Firm, who will listen and determine the best way to help you and your family.
Let The Button Law Firm Help Your Family After a Child Falls Off a Daycare Changing Table at Daycare
Our knowledgeable and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm are dedicated to holding daycare facilities accountable for unsafe conditions and negligence that harm your child like falling off a changing table. We have successfully helped other families with these cases. We will advocate for your family so that you can focus on helping your child heal from any injuries and move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list and are located in Dallas, Houston, and Midland. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.