Drug and Alcohol Exposure at Daycare
With 59% of Texas children in families with two working parents or who live in a working single-parent family, a majority of Texas households rely on daycares to watch their little ones under age 6 during the workday. In fact, parents pay a lot of money for daycare facilities to keep their children safe. However, some facilities do not always deliver on that promise. When daycares do not properly screen and supervise caregivers, young children can be exposed to drugs and alcohol.
How Kids Are Exposed to These Substances at Daycares Across Texas
In Texas, there are strict rules meant to protect and prevent children from being drugged or improperly medicated while they are at daycare. The standards outlined by Texas Health and Human Services state that a daycare must get permission from a parent before giving a child any type of medication, whether it be an over-the-counter medicine like Tylenol or a medication prescribed by the child’s doctor.
However, when young children are exposed to and possibly harmed by substances that are either illegal or inappropriate for underage children, daycare workers are often the root cause. This is why it is so important for childcare facilities to properly screen new hires and follow state laws created to provide adequate supervision of children.
Common examples of substances that irresponsible and unqualified caregivers have brought into daycares include:
- Tranquilizing drugs, also known as benzodiazepine, such as Valium and Xanax
- Opioids, including fentanyl, heroin, and prescription painkillers
- Stimulants like cocaine and meth that affect the central nervous system
- THC, the psychedelic chemical that is found in marijuana
How Exposure to Drugs or Alcohol Can Harm Children in Dallas Daycares
As you can imagine, young children including infants and toddlers are very susceptible to the effects of any drugs or alcohol. Their small bodies are still developing, thus any inebriating substance can exponentially impact a child’s health.
After exposure to drugs or alcohol, children can experience serious medical issues including brain injuries or drug overdoses that can lead to cardiac arrest or other severe health issues that impact the organs. And it’s more common than you might think, with the latest report from the Texas Department of Health and Human Services recording 317 children under the age of 4 in Texas daycares were injured in the span of nine months because of drugs, alcohol, and other toxic substances.
Sometimes too much of a strong drug including prescription medications can overwhelm a child’s body and have deadly consequences. The United States Drug Enforcement Administration cites opioids as being the most toxic substance to children, even in small doses.
Signs of drug or alcohol exposure in children include:
- Slow breathing
Steps to Take If Your Child Was Exposed to Drugs or Alcohol at Daycare in DFW
Anytime your child is injured or exposed to harmful substances can feel overwhelming—you may not even know where to start. Our expert daycare injury lawyers at The Button Law Firm created a video that explains what to do if your child is injured or harmed at daycare. In the event that you suspect your child has been exposed to drugs or alcohol at daycare, recommended steps to take include:
- Seek immediate medical attention for your child at the pediatrician or emergency room
- File a police report since illegal and substances not appropriate for underage children are involved
- Work to gather evidence of the exposure—ask to see a video of the incident and preserve the footage by recording it with your own smartphone or device, or request a copy of the feed from the daycare director
- Contact the compassionate and knowledgeable daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm by calling 214-699-4409 or filling out a contact form. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover your child’s medical expenses, future treatments, and pain and suffering. We will be ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s exposure and injuries.
If the unspeakable happens and your child passes away because of drug or alcohol exposure at daycare, our Texas child wrongful death attorneys will help your family get justice.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Dallas, Texas Daycare Injury Lawyers
Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was exposed to drugs or alcohol while in the care of a Texas daycare facility. With offices in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to listen, fight for your family, and help your family move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.