Since 2017, the number of cases involving children younger than 6 years old being exposed to edible cannabis products has increased 1,375%, according to a medical study published by the American Academy of Pediatrics in February 2023. These incidents—young children exposed to drugs and alcohol—can happen when daycare centers in Houston do not properly screen and supervise caregivers.
If your child was exposed to drugs or alcohol at a childcare facility anywhere in Houston, our Houston daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm can help you get the compensation your family deserves. We fight to get justice for families in cities across the Houston metro area: Atascocita, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. Call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.
How Kids Are Exposed to Dangerous Substances at Daycares Centers in Houston
Houston children between the ages of 2 and 3 years old are at the highest risk of exposure to drugs like gummies or cannabis, according to a recent medical study. Pediatricians attributed this to the fact that toddlers in this age range can open containers and climb up to high places where they can access drugs, which often look like candy.
When young children in Houston are exposed to and possibly harmed by substances that are either illegal or inappropriate for underage children, daycare workers are often the root cause. This is why it is so important for childcare facilities to properly screen new hires and follow state laws created to provide adequate supervision of children.
Common examples of substances that irresponsible and unqualified caregivers have brought into daycares include:
- Tranquilizing drugs, also known as benzodiazepine, such as Valium and Xanax
- Opioids, including fentanyl, heroin, and prescription painkillers
- Stimulants like cocaine and meth that affect the central nervous system
- THC, the psychedelic chemical that is found in marijuana
How Exposure to Drugs or Alcohol Can Harm Houston Children
Infants and toddlers are very susceptible to the effects of any drugs or alcohol. Their small bodies are still developing; thus any inebriating substance can exponentially impact a child’s health.
After exposure to drugs or alcohol, children in Houston can experience serious medical issues including brain injuries or drug overdoses that can lead to cardiac arrest or other severe health issues that impact the organs. And it’s more common than you might think: A report from the Texas Department of Health and Human Services found 317 children under the age of 4 in Texas daycares were injured in the span of nine months because of drugs, alcohol, and other toxic substances.
Common signs of drug or alcohol exposure in children include:
- Depression of the central nervous system such as slowed brain activity and breathing
- Dilation of the pupil of the eye, also known as mydriasis
- Increased heart rate, also known as tachycardia
- Nausea and vomiting
Sometimes too much of a strong drug including prescription medications can overwhelm a child’s body and have deadly consequences. The United States Drug Enforcement Administration cites opioids as being the most toxic substance to children, even in small doses.
Steps to Take If Your Child Was Exposed to Drugs or Alcohol at a Daycare Center in Houston
Our Houston daycare injury lawyers at The Button Law Firm created a video that explains what to do if your child is injured or harmed at daycare. If you suspect your child has been exposed to drugs or alcohol at a daycare center in Houston, follow these important steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention for your child at the pediatrician or emergency room at Texas Children’s Hospital or Children’s Memorial Hermann
- File a police report since illegal drugs, substances not appropriate for underage children are involved
- Work to gather evidence of the exposure—ask to see a video of the incident and preserve the footage by recording it with your own smartphone or some other recording device, or request a copy of the feed from the daycare director
- Contact the compassionate and knowledgeable Houston daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm by calling 281-857-6116 or filling out a contact form. Your family may be eligible for compensation to cover your child’s medical expenses and future treatments, lost wages from your job while serving as a caregiver for a child recovering from injuries, and pain and suffering. We will be ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s exposure and injuries.
If the unspeakable happens and your child passes away because of drug or alcohol exposure at a Houston daycare, our Houston child wrongful death attorneys will help your family get justice.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Houston Daycare Injury Lawyers
Our team of experienced and compassionate Houston daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was exposed to drugs or alcohol while in the care of a Houston childcare facility. With attorneys in Houston, we are ready to listen and fight for families in Atascocita, Bellaire, Clear Lake, Conroe, Cypress, Deer Park, Friendswood, Humble, Jersey Village, Katy, Lake Jackson, League City, Missouri City, Pasadena, Pearland, Richmond, Rosenberg, Spring, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, and Tomball. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 281-857-6116 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.