Parents looking at medical bills after their child was hurt at daycareOur Texas daycare injury lawyers have helped many families across the Lone Star State get justice when a child has sustained a bottle warmer burn while in the care of a daycare center. As part of that process, we have helped them navigate the child’s aftercare and win compensatory damages that helps cover costly medical expenses to treat these dangerous burn injuries.

In this article, we answer some of the most common questions that parents have regarding the medical treatment their child receives after being burned by a bottle warmer at a daycare center.

Do I Have to Pay for My Child’s Medical Expenses When They Are Burned by a Bottle Warmer at a Daycare Center?

Yes, a child’s parents will need to pay for all medical expenses when seeking treatment for a bottle warmer burn, even though the injury occurred at a daycare center in Texas. If you decide to file a claim that would hold the daycare center accountable for your child’s injuries, the medical expenses you paid to treat your child’s injury are considered economic damages in a daycare injury case and may be reimbursed by the daycare center. 

Should I Submit My Child’s Medical Bills to Our Health Insurance Company After a Bottle Warmer Burn at a Daycare Center?

Our Texas daycare injury lawyers recommend that you submit all of your child’s medical bills to your health insurance provider. Depending on your specific policy, insurance may cover all or a majority of the medical expenses to treat your child’s bottle warmer injury, which reduces your out-of-pocket expenses. We know you don’t always have the option to ensure your child’s medical team are in-network providers, especially in an emergency involving severe burns. We still recommend that you submit medical bills from these out-of-network providers to the insurance company, even for minimal reimbursement to lower expenses.

Can You Explain the Letter from My Health Insurance Company That Says I Have a Right to Reimbursement for Medical Expenses They Paid to Treat My Child’s Bottle Warmer Burn?

As we shared above, you are responsible for paying your child’s medical bills to treat any burn injuries caused by a hot bottle warmer. Your health insurance company likely covered a portion of the medical expenses associated with your child’s burns.

Health insurance companies have a right to recoup any medical treatment costs they covered if someone else is found responsible for the injury. In the case of a child’s bottle warmer burn, the daycare center’s or caregiver’s negligence resulted in safety protocols being ignored, and, therefore, a preventable incident occurred. The letter from the insurance company is providing details on how to initiate the reimbursement process. That often requires the following steps:

  • Requesting an itemized statement from the insurance company that details all of your child’s medical treatments to understand the charges your insurance company is seeking.
  • Filing a daycare injury lawsuit to hold the daycare center and its negligent caregivers accountable and get compensated for your child’s medical bills.

When you work with experienced daycare injury attorneys like our team at The Button Law Firm, we handle all back-and-forth communications with the insurance company on your behalf. Often, we can reduce the amount of money needed to be reimbursed to the insurance company following your child’s daycare bottle warmer burn injury.

What Happens If My Child’s Burn Caused by a Bottle Warmer at a Daycare Center Requires Future Treatment?

Burns are serious injuries, especially for children. In fact, they are the top cause of death and disability among children ages 1-4. The length of a hospital stay to treat burn injuries ranges from one to 47 days, depending on the severity, according to a 2021 medical study published in the National Library of Medicine.

However, burn injuries are unlike typical wounds or medical conditions because they can progress over time. That means a parent or daycare worker may not be aware of the severity of a child’s burn until a few days after the initial incident. Often, future or long-term medical care is required to properly treat these injuries and any affected tissues or organs.

Our knowledgeable daycare injury lawyers can consult with and/or retain experts and specialists who can provide future financial impacts on you and your child. For example, our team uses expert life-care planners who confer with your child’s physicians, meet with you and your family, and perform an evaluation of your injured child. They then present a comprehensive report of the medical treatments that your child may need in the future and any potential health complications that may arise from the severe burn caused by the daycare’s bottle warmer. We account for all of your child’s injuries and needs in each case to help you get justice and move forward.

How The Button Law Firm Can Help My Family After a Bottle Warmer Burn Injury

Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was seriously burned by a bottle warmer while in the care of a Texas daycare facility. With attorneys in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to listen, fight for your family, and help your family move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.
Russell Button
Connect with me
Dallas, Houston, and Midland Texas trial and personal injury lawyer dedicated to securing justice for clients.