We expect daycare facilities to have strict procedures on how to manage children entering and leaving the daycare van in order to assure no kids to get left behind. Most of the stories we hear on the news of children being left inside a hot van always end up with the child passing away due to hot temperatures. But what exactly happens to the kid?
What Happens When A Child Is Left Inside A Hot Van Due To The Daycare's Negligence?
- The van’s temperature will become deadly as high as 115-120 F, especially in Texas
- The child will feel sluggish
- The child will feel disoriented
- The child might lose consciousness
- A severe heat stroke can cause death
What Happens To Their Bodies?
- Neurological dysfunction
- A child’s heart rate will soar
- A child will vomit
- The mixture of heat and vomiting will cause severe dehydration
- The dehydration will then lead to the child gasping for air
- The child will experience cardiac abnormalities from deprived oxygen
- The child’s organs will slowly start to fail or shut down altogether
- The chances of a child still being conscious after 20 minutes are low
- If they are conscious, they will be frightened due to all of the changes in their body causing long-term psychological damage such as anxiety and PTSD
- At this point, their brain won’t be functioning correctly and will lead to a lifetime of (often times irreversible) damage to their brain and organs
How Can Dallas Daycare's Avoid The Danger Of Leaving Children In Hot Vans?
Now that we know how serious those injuries can be. Internal organ damage occurs from heat strokes as well as significant brain injuries. Death speaks for itself and we must not continue to let this issue get out of control. Our children are special and they are our future. If we as adults do not protect them and lead them in the right direction, we are family to see our future as humanity move forward. We don't want to see this happen to any more kids, which is why we need to hold daycare centers accountable for their negligent and careless behavior. Leaving a child inside a van is wrong on so many levels and this type of recklessness should be treated with the maximum disciplinary actions. This can be 100% preventable if the daycare centers implement a proper and strict safety systems in place. Safety systems are extremely important when it comes to a field where innocent children are involved. Children are delicate and also extremely active, so these daycare programs have to have a leg up on these issues and see incidents before they happen and prevent them with good judgment.
A good example could consist of the daycare's numbering off the children as they enter the van, and making sure that they have that same count as the kids come out. This is so simple to do and should be a huge part of training, but somehow this is not being done at daycare's across the world. Another example is writing the kids names and checking them off as they enter and leave the van. There should always be a multitude of adults held accountable, starting with the head of these programs on down, to make sure that all the children get back inside the facility safe. Lastly, the driver of the van should always walk to the back of the van to ensure that no children or items are left inside before locking the doors.
If safety procedures aren’t being enforced a child’s life is at stake, this is considered child negligence if the child were to get injured, or die while in their care.
Do You Need A Daycare Negligence And Abuse Lawyer?
If your family or a friend is dealing with a daycare forgetting a child in a van, please give us a call at 214-888-2216. Our Daycare Negligence Lawyers are here to make sure you’re informed and can make the best decision for your family. You can also fill out our Contact Us form with more information and we will give you a call. If you are in search of an attorney, read this article on when is the best time to hire a lawyer when dealing with a daycare injury.