Our experienced Texas daycare injury lawyers have found that bottle warmers are a common cause of daycare burn injuries for babies and toddlers. These injuries have serious long term consequences for little ones: a 2022 study published in the National Library of Medicine reported that burns are the top cause of disability and death among children ages 1-4.
We have had many parents contact us, looking for answers and wanting to know what they can do, after these traumatic incidents happen at daycare centers. To be a helpful resource for parents like you, we are answering the top three questions that parents ask about bottle warmer injuries and lawsuits.
Question 1: What Injuries Can a Child Sustain from a Bottle Warmer Burn at a Daycare Center?
Burn injuries from bottle warmers can be very painful and result in significant physical and emotional trauma for your child. Most burns caused by these gadgets are thermal burns, which happen when a child’s skin meets the hot surface of a bottle warmer. The severity of these burns can range from mild to life-threatening.
Depending on the severity of the burn from a bottle warmer at daycare, a child’s injuries can include:
- First-, second-, or third-degree burns
- Loss of limbs
- Muscle or tissue damage
- Painful blisters and peeling skin
In some cases, a burn caused by a bottle warmer burn injury can be so deep and debilitating by causing an inflammatory response. Fluid loss can sharply drop a child’s blood pressure and cause their fragile body to go into shock—becoming fatal.
Question 2: Can I File a Bottle Warmer Lawsuit If My Child Was Seriously Burned at a Texas Daycare Center?
The short answer is yes. In Texas, daycare centers are required to follow safety laws known as minimum standards. These rules dictate every aspect of childcare, including the proper use and storage of popular bottle warmers, in order to protect little ones. Daycare centers with infant nurseries rely on these gadgets to quickly warm bottles of breast milk or formula without boiling an infant’s liquid food.
However, when daycare centers and their workers ignore these safety standards, young children can be seriously injured. Children can be severely burned when negligent caregivers:
- Leave a child unsupervised, enabling them to pull a loose cord on the bottle warmer, causing boiling water or milk to spill on them
- Do not secure or properly store a bottle warmer and it tips over
- Place a bottle warmer within a child’s reach, making it easy for them to knock it over
Your family may be able to file a lawsuit to hold the daycare accountable for its negligence that caused your child’s injuries. A lawsuit can also help you receive compensation to cover:
- Medical expenses for your child’s current and any necessary future treatments
- Therapy and other resources to help your child process the traumatic event
- Pain and suffering
In the event that your child passes away from injuries sustained from a severe bottle warmer burn, your family can file a wrongful death of a child lawsuit to hold the daycare center responsible for your child’s passing.
Question 3: What Should I Do If My Child Was Burned by a Bottle Warmer at a Daycare Center in Texas?
You can experience a rollercoaster of emotions in the period of time after learning that your child was severely injured by a serious burn from a bottle warmer. First, you are concerned about your child. Then, your emotions may shift from anger to confusion around what happened. And, knowing what to do next can feel overwhelming.
Our Texas daycare injury lawyers help you take the guess work out of what to do following a child’s bottle warmer burn with these five easy steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention from an urgent care clinic, pediatrician, or emergency room as soon as possible.
- Get an incident report from the daycare center that documents exactly what happened, especially if your child’s burn is severe. A written record is best.
- Report the incident to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) by calling the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-252-5400 or make a report online at TXAbuseHotline.org. Your report will trigger an independent investigation into the incident involving your child and evaluate if the daycare center was incompliance with state-mandated safety laws.
- Retain copies of all correspondence from the daycare center and its workers. This will serve as evidence for your case. Examples include taking screenshots of text messages and emails discussing the incident, taking pictures or making copies of any letters from the daycare or its workers. Detailed notes recapping any phone calls with the daycare director are helpful as well.
- Contact a daycare injury attorney like our team at The Button Law Firm by calling 214-699-4409 or filling out a contact form. We will be ready to listen and advise your family on the best approach to hold the daycare accountable and get justice for your child’s injuries.
Our knowledgeable daycare injury lawyers also created this free guide that provides additional guidance after your child has sustained a daycare injury, including a burn from a bottle warmer.
How The Button Law Firm Has Helped Families After A Child Was Burned by a Bottle Warmer
Our Texas daycare injury attorneys have fought for families with children who have been seriously burned by bottle warmers at negligent daycare centers across the state. Here are a few success stories sharing how we helped these kids and their families move forward:
- Settlement Reached for Infant Burned by Daycare Bottle Warmer
- Texas Daycare Sued After Child Severely Burned by Bottle Warmer
- Story of Child Burned by Bottle Warmer at Daycare Featured in Focus Daily News
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Bottle Warmer Burn Injury Lawyers
Our team of experienced and compassionate daycare injury attorneys at The Button Law Firm is dedicated to advocating for you and your family if your child was seriously burned by a bottle warmer while in the care of a Texas daycare facility. With attorneys in Dallas, Houston, and Midland, we are ready to listen, fight for your family, and help your family move forward. Our attorneys at The Button Law Firm are recognized on the prestigious Texas Super Lawyers list, and we can help guide you after a traumatizing incident involving your child. We work on contingency, meaning we don’t charge you or collect any upfront fees to get started on your case. Call us at 214-699-4409 or fill out a contact form for a free consultation.